Tuesday 23 February 2010

Antenatal Classes

Things I discovered at my first antenatal class last night:

Everything should be fine in french. I already suspected this, but it's nice to have some confirmation.
Everyone else's tummy is waaaay bigger than mine. Most notably (obviously) the woman who has started classes even further along in her pregnancy than us and is due in about a month, but even the women who are 2 months behind me.
The midwife that I had an appointment with at the hospital a few weeks ago (so she could get all my medical details and talk to me about my pregnancy/birth/baby-worries) may have thought I was lying when I said I'm not particularly worried about anything. I'm actually not and my pregnancy continues to breeze along without causing me much trouble at all, but all the other women in the class seemed to have terrible stories about how hard it is on them physically and how they're not sleeping, exhausted, having a bad time at work or with their doctor, blahblahblah. I had nothing to add to that part of the conversation.
The six classes are going to drag on forever. We were there for 2 and a half hours last night!

8 comments:

Tina+Bastian said...

Antenatal classes definitely exist to test your patience. Probably the best preparaton for the life with a 2-years-old...
I'm still convinced that I didn't learn one useful thing in mine.

rswb said...

When all the partners there needed to be distracted while we did something else, they had to draw a picture of their unborn baby. Hahaha. I'm tempted to stick Reto's on the fridge, but he'd probably kill me.

Tina+Bastian said...

That sounds like a great little job for the boys! Unfortunately Bastian never had to do this... :-)

Anonymous said...

that sounds just like my pregnancy until i got the rash. classes do go for forever but i thought they were useful. Kristie

Literary Strumpet said...

We successfully avoided making conversation or eye contact with the other members of our tedious antenatal class throughout the duration of the eight-week course. Otherwise, we would have found ourselves hounded by the pregnancy complaints of other weak-willed, sissy competitive pregnant ladies during every unwelcome tea break. It would have been enough to make me vomit copiously over the lot of them. I can't believe you don't have even the slightest hint of morning sickness. Biatch!

Jennifer said...

The best thing about my classes were the confirmation that everything would be okay in German. And learning a few words. Oh, and the tour of the delivery hospital was good.

rswb said...

Yep, I think that visiting the delivery rooms (next week) should be good too. We also discovered the tortuous route between the emergency area (where we have to go via if we arrive at hospital after 9pm or something) and the maternity ward, so that was potentially useful too.

mischa said...

glad to hear you're having such a trouble-free pregnancy!