Saturday 25 July 2009

Dangerous Incompetence

Well, after numerous pointed comments from my disappointed fans (hah) I've decided to make a tentative foray back into the world of responsible blog ownership and actually post a post.

We're going on holidays the week after next (Scotland!) and, as often happens, our plan is to rent a car and drive around without giving anything much thought. As a result of everyone's distaste for planning holidays we haven't bothered to actually do the car renting until just now, and apparently there are no automatic cars left in the whole of the country. Since we long ago decided that I'm the designated driver whenever the driving is to be done on the left, that's not ideal. I learnt to drive in a manual, but that was a few years ago* and since then I've done relatively little driving at all and I've only driven a manual once (which was mostly successful but I did stall us across both lanes of traffic and just next to a bend on the fortunately quiet street my parents live on). Add to that the fact that the last time I drove a car was more than a year and a half ago and that I've never been very enthusiastic about driving, and .. well, it all makes for a bit of pressure, really.

Fortunately Reto has agreed to share the driving burden, but he's never driven on the left before, and is a bit concerned about the idea of changing gears with the wrong hand. And I can't think when the last time he drove a car was, but not within the last 2 years as far as I can recall.

Watch out, Scotland. Although I'm sure it will all be fine.





* not actually that many, because I didn't bother learning to drive until I was about 26

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

you could change gears for him while he's driving! although it's still with the wrong hand, but you don't have to concentrate on all the other coordination that goes with it. i'm sure it won't be a disaster at all :) Kristie

mischa said...

yay scotland! i found hitching an excellent way to get around if you don't mind a few hours standing in sleet (in the middle of summer).

Literary Strumpet said...

Good on you for being a responible blog owner. And for responsibly not driving too. Er. I mean... You're a great driver. I think.