Saturday 13 February 2010

No Choice

It never really occurred to me that perhaps partners don't attend births these days. I've never really talked about it with anyone of my own age (or with anyone at all), so who knows if I'm living in some sort of strange fairytale land or not, but I've always assumed that Reto will be there when our unborn baby is born. And so he will be, there's no question about that. People keep asking him, though, and I've noticed that his response is becoming ever more hesitant.

"You are going to be there with me in hospital when the baby is born, you know" I said to him one day upon noticing his apparent unenthusiasm.
"Yeah, I know"
"So what's with all the hesitation? You don't want to come?"
"Erm .. well.."
"I don't care. I don't really want to be there either, but if I have to you have to too, so there"
"My opinion on it all is that it doesn't really matter what I want, I'm just going to do what you want me to do"

So that's that all clarified then, and in the best way possible I suspect.

2 comments:

Tina+Bastian said...

Thankfully both of you will forget how the whole hospital thing went. Bastian and I have only very vague memories of that early morning... Nature is great that way!
And I'm sure Reto will do a great job (as will you - but nobody seems ever to comment on that *grrrrrrr*).

Looking forward to meeting your little one!
Tina

Literary Strumpet said...

Reto has exactly the right kind of attitude to stand him in good stead on the day. And, at least, his mum is not proposing she will come to the birth too. You're all set for the hideous loss of dignity that is childbirth!

Happy anniversary to you two!