Friday 13 August 2010

Not To Be Neurotic Or Anything, But ...

My parents, who are visiting, brought me a bunch of old Good Weekend magazines (which comes with the paper on Saturdays, and which I love). In this one I'm reading now, the journalist flew to Geneva to interview someone. She says

"the two-hour train trip to Lausanne costs more than $100".

Hmm. Maybe she caught a regional train and stopped at every station there is between Geneva and Lausanne, and maybe she means a return first class trip, and maybe the exchange rate was very very very bad, but it seems to me that someone should be doing a better job of checking the facts.

Surely there are enough stereotypes about Switzerland that are true that we can gleefully repeat to others, without making up stuff that is just blatantly wrong? Incidentally, I always thought that the fear of draughts (as in movement of air, not the board game. Oh how the Swiss love board games) was a bit of a rumour. Apparently not.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Ah yes, the fear of moving air. If you really want to freak a Swiss person out, blow a little electric fan in the direction of your baby's face on a stifling city bus one fine summer day.

rswb said...

hee hee. my mother in law always comments on how I frequently don't wear socks and until about a week ago I thought she was concerned about my comfort, but apparently sockless feet are a sure path to illness. let's hope I don't foist my irresponsible habits onto my defenseless baby.

Jennifer said...

Oh my husband is obsessed with socks. Bare feet travel the road to perdition, it is true.