Monday 19 January 2009

Things That Were Annoying Today

1. Ice. Ice has been driving me nuts for a few weeks now, ever since it snowed a lot and no one cleared the streets properly and we've all been slipping and sliding all over town ever since. Today I went out the 'burbs of Fribourg (to get my Swiss drivers license if you must know, tick for New Year's Resolution Number One. And even better, atrocious misreading of (what as it turned out were actually atrociously ambiguous) instructions meant that I didn't even have to do the theory test! Reto had to phone up to confirm that, though. It really was very unclear on the website. To think I wasted all that time unnecessarily learning the road rules when actually I was free to take my bung eye and my habit of driving on the left and a total ignorance of the road rules and get straight out there!). Anyway, there I was in the middle of nowhere (walking to the RTA-equivalent, which apparently isn't the done thing. They have the biggest carpark ever) bumbling around on the footpaths-masquerading-as-skating-rinks like a moron. And getting rained on at the same time, funnily enough. Warm enough to rain,not warm enough for all the ice to have melted.

2. Morons waiting for the train who have 2nd class tickets, but who get into the 1st class carriages (because it's always quicker to get into the 1st class carriages because there isn't a huge queue of people in there waiting to get out) and then go through the door from there to the 2nd class carriage that I'm queueing (with a million other people) to get into, thus managing to get in and get a seat first. Cheats.

3. Having an argument about something remotely serious in french but being unable to express my opinion in a relatively coherent way because my vocabulary is dismal. I think I may have ended up being construed as a militant vegan, which would have been fine but it wasn't what I was saying at all.

On a more positive note, I got my Swiss license (yay!), I managed to have a decent argument in french (maybe it was just everyone else misunderstanding me, not me being incomprehensible), I didn't break my leg on the ice, it wasn't freezing, I had a rather excellent salade nicoise for dinner, I got something pleasant in the mail (rather than just boring letters from my health insurance, which is what it usually is) and Reto didn't hog all the blankets last night. Which is the first time in ages that that's happened. Assidouously poking him in the ribs all the time every night seems to have finally paid off

3 comments:

Ms Mac said...

I thought, when you first mentioned the theory test, that things must have changed, or that you'd made a mistake since I got my licence swapped over but didn't say anything at that time. I wish I had now and saved you the bother of learning the rules in French.

Why don't you just lower your standards and join the cheating morons? That's what I'd do.

Ms Mac said...

Oh, and did you know (I'm sure you do but anyway) that half of the top floor of the 1st class carriage is 2nd class?

rswb said...

Yeah, I know lots of people who had changed their license just by switching it, but then there was some talk about rules changing early last year, and the rules can vary from canton to canton anyway, so I figured Fribourg was just making trouble for me.
Unfortunately the train where people annoy me so much is the one I take each evening, which is only one level. I really can't bring myself to be one of the crappy sneaker-innerers (largely because it seems so pointlessly desperate. Never mind the fact that I'm being pointlessly desperate AND angry outside the train while they're sneaking in ahead of me..), but this evening I went to the other end of the platform and the carriage I sat in was much emptier than I am used to. Which could be a solution.