Monday 21 September 2009

Electric Tea, Anyone?

A friend gave me a book a while ago about how to be more environmentally friendly when cooking. There's lots of interesting recipes in it, and all sorts of guilty-making statistics about how inefficient ovens and stoves are and how we should all be using toaster ovens instead, and then there's the very peculiar section on "electric teapots".

"Mention an electric teapot and most Americans are clueless. But to the tea-loving British, electric kettles are everyday appliances..."

And so on, about how kettles are great for making hot drinks and boiling water for making couscous and rehydrating mushrooms. Seriously? Kettles don't exist in America? I always thought it was weird that Reto's family never had a toaster, but no kettles?* Is it really true?





* Actually, now that I think about it, they don't have a kettle either. Which makes me wonder if it's us kettle-owners that are the odd ones out. I mean hardcore green cooks.

5 comments:

MissS said...

I don't think the French are big on them either. And when I was staying at a Swiss friend's family holiday apartment, we always had to boil water in the pot. Weird.

Speaking of toasters: mine bit me this morning and sliced open a finger. Nasty Swiss toaster ;)

Global Librarian said...

There are electric kettles in the US. We always had one growing up. You can get them at any appliance store, Wal-Mart, Target or the like. They are especially popular with university students. Indeed, it was my main cooking appliance while a student (soup heats up quite nicely in an electric kettle).

We also had a slow cooker, an electric frying pan and many other extremely useful appliances. Finally managed to find a slow cooker (labeled a "rice cooker" at Media Markt. Although I would not recommend you use it to make rice!), but have searched in vain for an electric frying pan.

If it's a kitchen gadget, you can find it in the US. Trust me on this one.

The Big Finn said...

I had a kettle (we called them hot pots) when I was in college. Then, I never had one again until we moved to CH in 2000. I think the issue is that we don't really drink tea that often, and the only reason we would boil water in the U.S. was for a reason such as boiling eggs or simmering something for a recipe, both of which you wouldn't do in a kettle. That being said, we have had one here for the past eight years or so, and we'll definitely get one again when we move back to the U.S.

Anonymous said...

i couldn't live without my kettle, especially now Taylor is on formula milk not the boob. it's so convenient for sterilising the water.
Kristie
(i know, I know .... everything is baby related now! sorry)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.