Thursday 3 June 2010

Things I Could Have Blogged About Lately ..

.. but didn't.

As it turns out, babies aren't to be trusted at all. Just when I think she's getting in the habit of something, she changes her mind and does things completely differently. Which is bad when her non-habit has been sleeping for 6 hours a night, good when it's crying and crying and crying every time I have the audacity not to hold her constantly.

If only I had a phone with a camera (as opposed to one with no features at all, which is what I do have. Still, it's capable of sending SMSes, so it's far superior to my previous phone) I could have taken all sorts of pictures of interesting things lately. Especially mysterious horse parades through Bern (I think they were protesting about something. I've never seen so many foals and shetland ponies at a protest) and the adorable baby bears, who are still very cute and are much more adept at tree climbing than they used to be.

Reusable nappies are far better than I anticipated. They always seemed like a good choice from an environmental smugness perspective, but I heard so many negative things about them (usually stories involving poo explosions) that my hopes were pretty low. As it turns out, the ones we got (Bambinex, in case you're interested. Which we chose because they were about the only ones we could find in Switzerland) have been perfectly good so far. The main negative aspect that we've discovered is that by the time we've folded them down to their smallest size and then velcroed them up and put on the waterproof top layer, No's bottom half is so enormous that she really can't fit into the clothes she normally wears.

Reto will be abandoning me to single parenthood quite a lot in the coming weeks. There's a practice run where he goes away for work for a night, and then the extended version where he spends a few weeks gallivanting around and playing with guns/bayonets in the army. Of course I won't have time to worry about my abandonment issues or looking after No on my own, because I'll be too busy packing up all our belongings so that we can move into our new flat a few days after R gets back. Great.

4 comments:

naechstehaltestelle said...

PC has left me to single motherhood a lot in the past months, so whenever he comes back, I make sure he gives me 4 hours of alone time. I lock myself in my room with a book and don't come out no matter what :)

Jennifer said...

I make my Reto buy me presents. I believe I even blogged the Burbury purse I blackmailed him into once...

And what is it with the Swiss Army and the non-family friendliness. My Reto was in service when the Small Boy was born (on a Sunday, thank goodness so R was actually there). The Army let him out Monday and then he had to go back!

rswb said...

What I enjoy the most these days is leaving the house without a baby in tow. Oh the freedom of just putting on shoes, grabbing my bag and leaving without having to faff around with baby accessories and a pram. The problem is that I'd really like to be leaving the house without a baby and with Reto, but that never happens.

rswb said...

Jennifer - I tell that army story of yours all the time! Foreigners are always outraged, Swiss people just nod and say "yeah, that's how it goes", and Swiss men who are still doing their service say in a sort of bitter way ".. and that means his whole weekend and the monday didn't count [towards his total days in military service]!"