Monday 17 January 2011

Nonie Update

You'll all be pleased to know that No continues to be the cutest baby ever. As of this morning (and a visit to the doctor) she weighs in at a whopping 7.9kg, and 72cm (which is actually not whopping at all). Her latest skills include sitting up unassisted (although sometimes there is a bit of falling over involved), saying "doi doi doi" a lot, and flirting outrageously with every woman over the age of about 50 in sight. Really, we can't get through the shortest of bus trips without the No grinning and batting her eyelashes at every potential grandmother around, and thus forcing me into a conversation about how old she is, how adorable she is, how blue her eyes are, and (funnily enough) whether she's a girl or a boy. I am the master of baby small-talk.


5 comments:

Global Librarian said...

She's beautiful!

And I never understand the "Boy or girl?" question either. I dress Linnea from head to toe in pink & purple. When I was still in Switzerland, I used to have people ask me all the time. We are back living in the US now (Chicago) and everyone just says "What a sweet little girl!"

I've wondered if perhaps it is impolite somehow to say a baby is a boy or girl without checking first. There were always so many little polite rules in Switzerland that I never understood.

rswb said...

Thanks! And yes, it is weird, isn't it? I sometimes wonder if people think/assume she's a boy because she has so little hair (and what she does have is really blonde and thus kinda hard to see).

You've moved back to America? How long ago?

Global Librarian said...

Officially as of January 1st, but the children and I stayed with my parents from mid-November while Fred handled the moving logistics with the relo company and did some business trips to India and parts around Europe.

We came to the end of the International Assignment and had to choose whether to stay in Zürich indefinitely or transfer back. I just couldn't accept Switzerland indefinitely. I was afraid I would become angry and/or bitter. We thought briefly about transferring to Munich or London, but ultimately decided to move back to the US to be closer to family.

rswb said...

Yeah, there's nothing like living on another continent to make you realise how far away from your own family you are. Are you still doing your blog?

Global Librarian said...

I quit the Expat blog after Linnea was born because with two little ones I simply did not have the time. And now we aren't expats anymore anyway!

I do still have a semi-private photo blog so family & friends can see the children. If you want that blog address, send me an e-mail at global underscore librarian at yahoo dot com. I can send it to you.