Sunday 16 January 2011

Token Effort

I've been inspired to post something new on my blog, partially because, just now as I was having a look through it trying (unsuccessfully) to find something I may have written some years ago, I realised how entertaining and delightful it once was, and partly because one of my devoted fans recently asked me "Are you ever going to put anything new on your blog? I'm fed up with that stupid picture of snow" (or something similarly rude).

-

"Doodiwindi"*? On the "Macyntyre river"? Seriously, Le Temps, I know that Australia is a far-off and probably not even real land, but don't you have subeditors or something who can check that you don't just make up the names of towns? The Macintyre river misspelling wasn't too bad, but it is the river that ran through the town where I grew up, and therefore my outrage is disproportionate.



* I assume this is meant to be Goondiwindi

2 comments:

Steph said...

Surprisingly, the Australian media seems to all be pronouncing Goondiwindi correctly (Gundawindy)

Ms Mac said...

The BBC presenters have all been driving me mad by sticking to the 'Queensl'nd' pronunciation of Queensland. According to several online dictionaries, this is the correct pronunciation despite me never, ever having heard an Australian pronounce it, 'Queensl'nd' in my life!

Grrrr.