Thursday 10 July 2008

Nothin' Much

Apparently I've been in too much of a frenzy of NOT LIKING MY NEW FRENCH TEACHER AT ALL to post any posts lately. She (the new teacher) is small (of stature) and aggressive and spends a lot of time pointing at people until they give her the answer she wants. Long after it becomes apparent that the person she's pointing at can't give her the answer she wants she carries on pointing. It's all a bit high-stress and annoying, but at least it's uniting us against her. Which is really the only bright side.

And that's practically all that's happening here at the moment. I am enjoying eating food that Reto grimaces at (like tofu marinated in soy sauce and ginger, mmmm) and I am drinking more than I do when he's here (which sounds like it might have overtones of depressing solitary drunkenness, but it's much more cheerful than that. I like having a glass or two of wine with dinner but Reto doesn't seem to care as much as I do, so now that he's away I'm liberated from feeling like a bit of a boozehound when I have another glass and he doesn't). But that's about it.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always suspected soylent green to taste like tofu...

Blerch!

mischa said...

ah, i was always blessed with lovely french teachers. my favourite was the grammar lecturer at sydney uni, roland, who, despite being quite rigorous and putting people on the spot to answer (like your teacher), always gave us grammar exercises that rhymed and were full of crocodiles and people with silly names like "tom hadatifran" (say it aloud). ah, those were the days...

The Big Finn said...

Wait a second...

You don't like your French teacher?

You're paying her?

Fire her!

Get a new one!

You're too nice!

rswb said...

I am undeniably charming, TBF. I dunno, the school place I am going to has been really good up until now and they seem to have good methods blah blah (plus they're cheaper than everywhere else), but if stuff doesn't shape up I may well consider shipping out. Maybe we all just need a short period of adjustment. Who knows.

rswb said...

Maybe if soylent green had been marinated in soy and ginger things wouldn't have turned out the way they did ... (then again, maybe if there was soy and ginger to be had things wouldn't have turned out the way they did...)

Tom Hadatifran?

mischa said...

"tomates a dix francs"

rswb said...

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh,

Yep, I missed that completely.