Wednesday 2 July 2008

Tiny Whiny

For those of you in Australia (or any sensible-fridge country) who haven't really bothered to notice that I occasionally whine about the size of the fridge here, please note the following photographic evidence:
and for some perspective on just how tiny the freezer is:

That's not unusual here. Fridges, for whatever moron reason, are tiny.

Also note that I have embraced using clothes pegs to keep opened packets of stuff (ground coffee and linseeds in these pictures) shut. I don't know why this never occurred to me before. Actually, I do; it's because we don't have any elastic bands and because I'm apparently the sort of cheapskate to whom the idea of actually buying them deliberately is anathema. Where do all the elastic bands come from in Australia? We always had squillions of them there, but here, none. There are those purple ones around bunches of asparagus, and sometimes you would get them wrapped around the paper (when it was delivered, usually the crappy free local paper), but surely that can't be all?

6 comments:

The Big Finn said...

I use binder clips (I think you'd call them bulldog clips?) to keep our packets closed. And I agree - the refrigerators here are ridiculous. We actually have two built-in fridges in our kitchen, and they're still not enough. We also have a chest freezer and a "beer" refrigerator. Cold beverages are a basic human right as far as I'm concerned.

rswb said...

Good lord, reading your comment just reminded me that I forgot to have any wine with my dinner! Egads!

Caity said...

I've been using pegs on my groceries for years.

Except now I've been living in apartments for so long that I've lost them all. It seems wrong to buy pegs just for storage.

Caity said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

i've been using pegs for ages too. I'm surprised you never noticed, Rob. I probably picked got the idea from Caitlin.

rswb said...

Really, Steph? I thought we always used elastic bands.