Tuesday 19 January 2010

Bad Cheese

Having been reasonably diligent for the last 6 and a half months at avoiding booze and rare meat and oysters and all the other yummy things they tell you to avoid when you're pregnant, today as I was eating a piece of emmental cheese I happened to look at the packet and notice it was made from raw milk (which is another thing on the list of foods to avoid). "Oops", I thought, then cut myself a piece of gruyère. And as I was eating it, I noticed it is also made from raw milk. Hmm. I would say I've eaten these two cheeses (as in these particular brands of them) on average every single day that I've been pregnant (clearly that's an exaggeration, but only because I spent some time out of the country).

That being said, Reto's just done a bit of research and found that apparently hard cheeses are fine even if they are made from raw milk.

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

My OB (who's actually German) told me re: cheese, if it was made in Switzerland it's okay. I think there has been one case of listeria in Switzerland in about 10 years.

rswb said...

Yeah, the thing Reto read was some official Swiss information saying that Swiss hard cheeses are fine even if they are made from raw milk. It still suggested avoiding soft cheeses, though (wherever they come from). My OB is german too!

Literary Strumpet said...

Raw milk?! Oh, you mean unpasteurised? I'm sure everyone back in the days before pasteurisation made do with raw milk and managed not to have too many issues with offspring. Perhaps it is all just a big raw milk conspiracy, put out there by the Pasteurites? Good thing you have Reto to debunk their troublesome propaganda.

Can you tell I'm full of it, Wobbie? By the way, be wary of peanuts though. I wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them. And I'm terrible at throwing anything. Can catch though.

The Big Finn said...

My Finnish grandmother drank unpasteurized milk from one of her cows every single day through sixteen pregnancies, and the children all ended up being very healthy. I wouldn't worry about it.