Wednesday 13 January 2010

Pregnancy - A Bit Dull

I would write an exciting pregnancy update post, but it's just not that exciting. Apart from having made christmas a bit sad (what with all the booze and oysters and things on offer that I mostly valiantly said no to) and made my legs swell up like elephant legs on the flights to and from Australia (really, you should have seen my knees! I might have anticipated swollen ankles and feet, but my knees! My calves! My thighs! Fortunately everything was back to normal after a nice night of lying down) there hasn't been that much going on. I have put on 11kg or so, which seems like more than I should have gained at this stage (28 weeks), but last night I was told by a gaggle of semi-strangers that I'm looking "tiny" (which I don't think I've ever been called before in any context. And one of them may have implied that she didn't really believe that I am pregnant, or possibly that I am as pregnant as I am), and most of the time I am still wearing my normal non-pregnant clothes (although I have retired my tighter jeans and tshirts).

All the necessary shopping is also starting to loom a bit dauntingly. I'm not a big fan of shopping at the best of times, and the fact that this baby shopping requires me to do research into what I need (and where I can buy it) is incredibly off-putting. As is the fact that it's too cold to rustle up much enthusiasm for going outside to do things I don't want to do. I had planned to do some baby-stuff research in Australia, where it would be easy to pump shop assistants for information, but my unenthusiasm meant I didn't get around to anything more than buying a baby sling and a few adorably cute clothes (as well as being given some other adorably cute clothes by my mother). Nappies are my main torment at the moment.
On the less complainy side, though, the idea of having a little person is pretty exciting, and feeling her rolling about and doing whatever it is she's doing in there is really lovely, and we bought her a completely excellent toy wombat a while ago. And a mobile with whales on it. And not having spent the last 6 months vomiting or being exhausted or having haemorrhoids or any of that stuff is probably a fairly good thing.

5 comments:

Global Librarian said...

It may seem boring, but it is exciting nonetheless. Congratulations!

And do not worry about the shopping. Newborns actually need very little. Far less than the Baby Store Clerks would have no believe. Someplace to sleep, someplace to change them, a few clothes, a baby bathtub and a sturdy stroller that can handle cobblestones. That's really it. Anything else you can purchase as the baby grows and it becomes obvious to you what they need.

Although, in my opinion, it is not possible to have too many white onesies. They will get an astounding amount of bodily fluids on them. If you don't want to do laundry daily, get many onesies.

Oh God, I hope you have your own laundry and do not have to deal with a schedule!

Steph said...

Hello Brownie

Anonymous said...

I will not concur on it. I over precise post. Particularly the title-deed attracted me to read the intact story.

rswb said...

We don't have our own laundry! But we also don't have a schedule, and I've only once or twice (in the two years we've lived in this apartment) found the washing machine not available when I wanted to use it. So hopefully that will be fine.

Tina+Bastian said...

I agree with Global Librarian!
DO NOT BUY BABY THINGS IN ADVANCE. It's amazing how many things you actually don't need. And the brochures always look sooooo convincing...