Saturday 9 January 2010

Flying

Yesterday I was worrying about getting sunburnt at the beach and the dilemma of having to potentially pack wet swimmers in my suitcase for the flight back to Switzerland (you'll all be pleased to know they dried in about 2 seconds after I hung them on the line), today I struggled not to fall over in the snow slush on the way home from the train station with my giganto suitcase and in my summery shoes. Sigh.

In other news, when we were going through the metal detectors in Dubai, one of the staff asked me "are you pregnant?". I said yes, and she directed me around the side of the machines and over to some woman who took me into a cubicle and frisked me (in lieu of being metal detected). I think most options are better than being frisked (including those nudie scanners that are causing such controversy lately), but this was the first I've heard of avoiding metal detectors during pregnancy. Which is possibly not ideal, since I've gone through at least 4 of them in the last few weeks.

2 comments:

naechstehaltestelle said...

Hmm, they never frisked me in lieu of the scanners. I also haven't heard of any dangers from the scans, although my husband always has to get frisked because he has a pacemaker. If it makes you feel better, I went through a bunch with my last pregnancy and the baby was perfectly fine.

rswb said...

Yeah, I'm sure it's not going to be a problem. It was more surprising than anything else.