Saturday 18 August 2007

Badenfahrt

Last night Reto and I went to Badenfahrt, which is this big thing in Baden that no one can really describe well. I suppose it's some sort of festival, and it happens once every 10 years or so (although apparently they are a bit flexible about that), and there is lots of music and temporary bars and restaurants and there are rides and sideshows and things. Before I went there I was describing it to people as being something like the Royal Easter Show but without the woodchopping and the sheds full of pigs and stuff, and now that I have been I suspect that description isn't so inaccurate.

Anyway, I'm sure there are many interesting things I could potentially say about Badenfahrt, but the one thing that springs to mind just now is that one of the sideshow things we saw was a shooting game. I didn't really pay that much attention, but presumably you had to shoot ducks or something to win gigantic stuffed tiger or whatever the Swiss equivalent is. I suspect, however, that a country where half the population is fandangled into the army and has to go and prove that they have decent aim with a gun once a year is not a good country in which to run such a business.

No comments: