Friday 31 August 2007

Milestones

Three years ago today (or possibly three years ago tomorrow, no one is really sure) Reto and I met. I thought at first that he either had a relatively poor grasp of English or of social niceties, because basically the first thing he said to me invoved demanding that I give him money (with the benefit of hindsight I suspect that it was a problem with the latter, because I know now that he is really great at speaking English).

After the initial confusion of thinking that I was being robbed, we had a pleasant evening of looking out for the northern lights (because we were up in the arctic circle at the time) and discussing laundry (which was why he wanted my money), followed by a pleasant week of loafing around, eating a lot and swimming in the icy arctic depths of the Norwegian Sea, followed by several relatively unpleasant years of looooong international flights and tearful scenes in airport departure lounges. And now here we are. Who would have thought?

The other significant thing about today is that it is the day that my immediate family became largely unemployed (again). My father is officially the only one of us with a job (again). Well done on rejoining the ranks of daytime TV-watching scum, Steph (not that I watch daytime TV or am scum).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't watch daytime tv, except maybe the Gilmore Girls at midday. Right now I'm watching a documentary about Annie Oakley that I recorded off nighttime tv. It seems that she did get a man with a gun! She beat a professional shootist when she was about 15 and they ended up married.

rswb said...

Is "shootist" a word?