Saturday 4 August 2007

I Like Foreigners

Last night I hung out with a gaggle of native english speakers for the first time since I came to Switzerland (I'm not counting the 6 weeks when I was back in Aus, and I am also not counting all the times I have hung out with Reto's English brother-in-law, because those exceptions would ruin the dramatic impact of the sentence. And plus they sort of don't count because Australians in Australia can't really goggle appropriately at the Swiss as foreigners here can, and Reto's English brother-in-law and I are always far outnumbered by Switzies).

Anyway, it was super. It was super not only because they were lovely people, but also because finally I heard people pronounce "Coop" (a supermarket) and "Manor" (a department store) the way that I want to pronounce them, because I could attend a social function without having to kiss everyone thousands of times (although as it turns out I kind of enjoy all the kissing, but I would prefer to be more selective about it than Switzerland forces me to be), because we could all start our glasses of wine without ensuring strict adherence to the rules of cheersing, and because everyone laughed at all my jokes (although possibly they were just being polite, but I am prepared to live with that possibility).

1 comment:

MissS said...

i'm very glad you enjoyed yourself! don't stress, the jokes were definitely funny. i had an awesome time as well and am looking forward to catching up again soon :D