Wednesday 30 April 2008

Holidays!

I'm on holidays! From learning French*! For two days (plus the weekend)! I get to sleep in**! And not think! And tomorrow we're having a mini film-festival at our place (because it's some sort of public holiday. Something religious, I think, but I'm not really sure, and it means we will both be home and at a loose end)! Well, not really films, but we've borrowed a bunch of the first series of The Sopranos from the local library, so it's more like a TV festival! With gin and tonic and some generic snacky items and these weirdly named biscuits*** that Reto insisted on buying! And we're going to go and gawk at bike riders in some sort of cycling competition thingie that will be in Fribourg tomorrow (possibly from the vantage point of a bar down the road if it's open, which it may well not be but fingers crossed)! And I'm going to read a book that's too big to fit into my bag that I take to my french lessons****! Hurrah!




* which is a full time gig at the moment, in case I haven't mentioned that
** apart from the faux-insomnia, of course. I've decided to experiment with ditching the doona from my doona and using wintery pyjamas and a blanket instead (because I think my doona might be too warm)
*** they're called "nippon". They seen to involve rice bubbles coated with crap chocolate. I haven't tried one yet, but I am not holding my breath
**** White Teeth. I have four stupid textbooks for French, and what with all the umbrellas and sunnies (because I have no power of anticipating what the weather will be like in this stupid country, and so whenever I take only an umbrella it's always sunny, and whenever I take only sunnies it always rains, so now I always take both and it's always cloudy and non-rainy) and mug (for the vast quantities of green tea I drink while learning French. It's really not the same out of a plastic cup) and assorted other junk that I need every day, I am really limited to books of 150 pages or less on my hour and a half of train travel each day. At least the view out the window is pretty.

8 comments:

Tina+Bastian said...

It's not a religious holiday. Have a look at Wikipedia:

"Labour Day is an annual holiday celebrated all over the world that resulted from efforts of the labour union movement, to celebrate the economic and social achievements of workers. Most countries celebrate Labour Day on May 1, known as May Day and International Workers' Day."

I think only Australians change the date of their public holidays EVERY year to get always a Monday off...

rswb said...

Nup, it's Ascension.

Tina+Bastian said...

Actually - we are both right!
It's an exceptional year with two public holidays on the same date. Bastian told me a moment ago...

Kim/moolric said...

You should try audio books. I just got an ipod nano and signed up to audible.com. So it takes up abrely any room and a normal sized unabridged book is about 10 hours and a fat book can be 40+ hours. That will keep you going for quite a few days. Plus they are cheaper than real books other than the initial investment in the ipod, but I'm pretty sure you have an mp3 player already. yes?

Anonymous said...

nope, she doesn't have an mp3 player. i have two ipods, one of which was meant to be a present for Rob but then she didn't come home for Christmas because she met some Swiss bloke in Norway. So now she has a Swiss hubbie and I have 2 ipods

Anonymous said...

Hey, how was the Sopranos? Worth getting a copy of?

rswb said...

Didn't one of your ipods break, Steph? And we haven't actually watched the Sopranos yet, because a friend came over instead. She was 6 hours late, though (weather/vehicular issues) so as it turned out we would have had plenty of time to watch it, but we didn't know that at the time. Sigh. Maybe this weekend, though. They also have heeeeeaps of west Wing DVDs at the library, which I am looking forward to. For some reason Reto isn't, though.

Nick Jensen said...

Sopranos is GREAT. Absolutely recommend it. It's right up there with CSI (Vegas) and BSG.
- I'm currently waiting for the last half of last season. It's so exciting...