Monday 28 April 2008

Zzzz, Grr

I haven't had an uninterrupted night's sleep since we moved to Fribourg. Every night I wake up repeatedly for no apparent reason. At first I was waking up all over the place (as in at all sorts of times during the night), but lately I have got into more of a routine of sleeping until 4am or so, and then waking up sporadically for the next few hours until I eventually am forced to get up (exhausted) at 7am-ish. I have never slept this badly for this long before. We have tried changing all sorts of things about our sleeping habits (windows open/windows closed, swapping sides of the bed, swapping doonas and pillows, shutters shut/shutters open, various pyjama options, going to bed early/late) but nothing much seems to help. Reto now has some sort of looney half-baked theory about electricity disturbing my sleep (because we have all sorts of bedside lamp cables going under the bed because there is no power point on one side of the bed), but I think that maybe feng-shui-ing the room is the way to go. Such is our desperation.

Anyone have any ideas?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Drink and/or drugs?

Do you have the same bed you used to? Maybe it is smaller and Reto is kicking you or something. Have you trialled him sleeping on the couch? Or carpet - do you have a couch yet?

mischa said...

rearranging the furniture couldn't hurt (unless you bugger up the feng shui even more, i suppose).

when i sleep poorly it's usually due to one of three things:
1. stress or anxiety or excitement, even when i'm not conscious of feeling terribly stressed or anxious or excited in waking life. 2. a new environment, though that usually only lasts a couple of days.
3. temperature. i've got to be just the right temperature - neither too hot nor too cold - or i won't sleep well. i find i often sleep badly during that transitional period when the season's changing.

i've tried many remedies, but none has worked. i'm now resigned to not sleeping well sometimes and just hacking being a bit tired the next day. insomnia definitely runs down one side of my family, so i think something more radical than deep breathing is probably necessary to help us out.

maybe it's the french lessons. are verb conjugations going round and round in your head?

the electricity theory is bunkum. there's so much electricity buzzing around us all day, i really doubt it would interfere with your sleep.

anyway, it sucks and i hope it sorts itself out soon.

Kim/moolric said...

Could it be the huge amounts of green tea you said you've been drinking?

rswb said...

Nup, I don't think so (about the green tea). I only really drink it in the mornings, and caffeinated beverages don't really keep me awake. Even if I have a coffee after dinner, it doesn't keep me awake. Although that could be something to do with Steph's "booze negates the caffeiney effects of coffee" theory, since the coffee I have after dinner is usually liqueur coffee.

Anyway, nup, I don't think so. It does make me go to the toilet a lot though.