Thursday 24 April 2008

Fun At The Supermarket

There are several supermarkets near us. The closest is a crappy tiny wee Migros that has very little other than 2kg bags of potatoes. A bit further away there is a Coop that has most stuff. Even further away, but where I happened to go today because I was over in that direction having a coffee with me 'usband, there is a giganto Migros that sells absolutely everything ...

... except mince. They have soooo much meat in this place, including a whole fridge dedicated to wackier meat options like offal and tripe and tongues and horses and stuff (not that eating horses is so unorthodox here), and they don't sell normal boring beef mince. Looks like it might be veggo lasagne.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you tried horse meat? Or would you try it if someone offered it to you?

rswb said...

I actually don't know if I have eaten it or not. Swiss brunches, though, seem to involve the unwavering appearance of bread, meat, cheese and processed meat products, and as it turns out horse products are always there at the brunches of Reto's family. So I would say I probably have.

I have never really been a fan of processed meats (like devon and stuff), and I think I am even less of a fan of them now that I have seen the Swiss system of indicating which animals the meat thingies contain. They have little pictures, and on lots of them there are little caricatures of whole barnyards! Pigs and cows and horses and chickens all frolicking about together! It's like when Buffy worked at the Double Meat Palace! Only more so!