Wednesday 1 April 2009

Thanks

When I was at the supermarket this morning the checkout woman actually congratulated me on having minimised the number of plastic bags I used (because, non-Swiss people, here you have to weigh your fruit and veg yourself and then stick the stickers onto something. Which, in my opinion, can be the fruit and veg if you only buy one piece (like a single pineapple, although be warned, pineapples don't cope well with stickers), but otherwise it really has to be on a plastic bag, with said f&v in it). I always put my potatoes and carrots and zucchinis and whatnot in the same bag and then slather it in stickers, which normally earns me a glare from checkout chicks, who apparently find it outrageously inconvenient to have to scan the same bag more than once (oh, the horror). So this morning's experience was a very nice change.

3 comments:

The Big Finn said...

I pretty much always put my stickers on the fruit/veg. if possible. Doesn't work too well for green beans though.

Jennifer said...

I put multiple stickers on one bag too; I've never gotten The Glare. Then again, I generally shop with The Cutest Boys Ever so they make people smile.

Literary Strumpet said...

Yes, the green beans dilemma makes me think of other fruits where that could be an issue, should you be trying to do the environmentally responsible thing and use no fruit/veg bags whatsoever. For example, grapes could be right pain in the proverbial. What is it though about checkout chicks who glare? Maybe they're suffering from a serious lack of vitamin C. I mean, most of the glarey kind I encounter don't know a parsnip from a potato, ffs, and always ask you what the veg in question is with the tone of 'WTF is this and are you actually going to eat it? Eeww!'. F!!!