Tuesday 20 February 2007

..And Another Thing

Oh, and I can't tell you the number of strange looks I have had since I started my german lessons. All the teachers, all the admin people, I tell them my name and they look at me as if they aren't quite sure what's going on. And no, before you become all critical and suggest I go back to the beginners' class, it's not because I have no grip on introducing myself, it's because "Robyn" (or "Robin", more accurately) is apparently only a boy's name here. The second teacher I found myself with, who seems kind of cranky at the best of times, glared at me when I gave her my student card thing, then she glared at my name, and she glared at me again. I was used to the drill by then. "It's a girl's name too in Australia", I said, and she glared for a while longer (possibly with a hint of bemusement thrown in) before subtlely altering her expression to create the "welcome to my class" glare and letting me sit down.

1 comment:

Tina+Bastian said...

We comletely understand your situation!
Try to be called Bastian in Queensland, Australia (where people SOMETIMES are a little bit slow). The lack of "Se" in front of his name is making his live a misery...
Good luck for your German classes! We start our English class next week. :-)

Tina