Tuesday 13 February 2007

How Do You Say "eek!" In German?

As you may or may not have heard, I have enrolled in an intensive german course that starts next week and means I will be tormenting myself for 4 hours a day, 5 days a week for the next 4 weeks (or possibly longer, depending on how much I can stand). I went to see them last week and did their placement test, in which my appallingly ordinary score (58%) led them to believe I should be in a level 5 course. This meant as little to me as it does to you until I had a look at the blurb they gave me and found that level 5 courses involve reading lots of newspapers, discussing current events and embracing simple literature.

Good lord. I panic when checkout chicks talk to me at the supermarket. If you don't hear from me for a while it's because I'm off panicking and trying to learn everything I have already learnt in the last year and a half of decidedly non-intensive TAFE lessons (not that they weren't fantastic; thankyou to everyone involved), in the potentially vain hope that I can manage to flail together a sentence or two before I collapse. Sigh. And I thought unemployment would be fun.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

But that's exactly what we did all year - read newspapers, discuss current events . . . it would be great to do an intensive course like that. Viel Glueck!

Anonymous said...

Well, maybe, but it doesn't mean I'm not panicking. Grr.