Thursday 10 May 2007

#%^*%ing Laundry

There's something wrong with the @&*%#ing washing machines in this building. They keep stopping, for no good reason, and then the power vanishes (it is still switched on everywhere it should be, but there is no evidence of this) and nothing happens and then I panic that all my clothes will be trapped forever in the stoopid machine (because you can't even open the %$#$ing doors if the power is absent). Then I get all carried away in some sort of impotent rage (because what can I do??) and I sporadically check on the laundry over the next few hours, and if I am lucky the machine will have miraculously started again of its own volition half a day after it decided to have a bit of a pause. And so I spend the ENTIRE day doing one ^*&$#ing load of laundry.

I'm sure there's some deeply misogynistic subtext hidden in all of this.

4 comments:

Tina+Bastian said...

Does this always happen at around 11am? Because in your canton (Aargau), the eletricity for the washing machines ALWAYS stops at around midday to free the energy for all the cooking going on at this time. The electricity comes back at 12pm, 12:30pm or 1pm (time depends on yourvillage/city/town).
Its a simple solution to reduce the impact of the peak hours for our nuclear power plants (Aargau has four of them).
But perhaps the washing machine is simply broken... It is always possible.
Tina

Anonymous said...

My god, that makes sense! Well, I mean it makes sense in that it explains why the washing machines here are so temperamental, but it really doesn't make sense in that it's the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. Is everyone really cooking up such a storm at lunchtime? Are there any other "peak hours" when laundry is verboten? Do people not bother cooking (or turning their lights on?) in the evening? Surely 4 nuclear power plants should be enough to supply plenty of electricity for the small number of people who live here?

These Switzies are crazy.

Anonymous said...

Gosh! I'm glad I don't live in Aargau if things like that happen in the communal laundry room.

I just HATE doing the laundry in Switzerland.

***

Hi. Got here from Expat Blog.

Anonymous said...

That sure is simple but I don't know if it is a solution.

You can look forward to new laundry adventures when you get back to Sydney - the washing machine has taken to overflowing once every few loads. It doesn't stop until you turn the water off