Tuesday 15 May 2007

Ouch

We have really, really sharp kitchen knives. I don't know how many times I have sliced the end of my thumb off while making dinner since I got here, but suffice to say that it is a lot, to the point that I don't think my thumb will ever again be the shape nature intended.

Last night was the latest in my rampage of self destruction. I was slicing onions (risotto, and the result was delicious, if slightly blood-soaked) but I got carried away and sliced some thumb too. Blood went everywhere. It was on the table, on the onions, in the sink, on the floor, drenching tissues. Everywhere but inside my thumb, really. It was all a bit reminiscent of the anime bit in the middle of Kill Bill (volume 1. It was on telly here last week), although with less death and paedophilia. Reto arrived home to find the whole apartment doused in blood. Perhaps it's time to get some blunter knives. Or some chain-mail gloves.

3 comments:

Global Librarian said...

Used to do that myself. Now I do a simple method taught to me by a professional chef.

Curl your fingers under when you hold down what you are cutting. Put the knife against your knuckles and use it as a guide.

No more bloody mess!

Anonymous said...

Why won't I just cut my knuckles instead? And all the associated tendons/ligaments?

Global Librarian said...

It's hard to describe. Here's a picture along with a description!

http://asiarecipe.com/cutting.html

Scan down the page a bit. You'll see it.