Sunday 15 June 2008

A Slow And Cheesy Death

In other news from today, my cheese tolerance has gone up enormously. On the train on the way home from the zoo we were wondering what we would have for dinner and Reto said "let's have a fondue!". What with it being rainy and freezing and horrible today, and all our feet being all cold and pruney from having been rained on all afternoon, we both thought this was a super idea (and it's summer next week for crying out loud), so we bought all the cheese and wine and stuff, went home and scoffed the lot.

Back in my more inexperienced days of fondue, Reto and I used to struggle to get through a 2 person fondue (which is 400g of cheese). Today we were practically licking the caquelon*, and talking about what we could have for dessert**.

No doubt my arteries won't forgive me anywhere near as easily as my stomach has.




* Fondue pot thingie
** chocolate, as it turned out. Talk about Swissification.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What did you put in it? We had chocolate fondue when Kim and Caitlin came round for dinner the other day. It was super-unhealthy, with marshmallows and shortbread biscuits and a few strawberries. We ended up toasting the marshmallows over the fondue heat source thingy. Yum.

rswb said...

Do you mean what did we eat with it? As in what did we dip in it? Just bread and potatoes, plus gherkins on the side (I don't know if people dip those in, but I don't).

Appaarently Reto's never had a chocolate fondue, which just goes to show what a traditionalist he is.