Friday 22 August 2008

Ouch!

I have a sporting injury! Yesterday we went tenpin bowling (I am atrociously bad at it, but as it turns out not quite as bad as Olivia. Did I mention that Olivia is my friend who has been staying with us for a while? Oh the luxury of having a spare room! Anyway, at least you can drink beer while you bowl, which gives it a definite advantage over most other sports. Plus I rather like the shoes). I mysteriously managed to cut my thumb and mangle my knuckles a bit, and today I've noticed that my left buttock is in agonies. Obviously its muscles haven't done anything quite so active in a while. I feel so sporty!*



* Obviously if I was actually sporty the minor exertion of three whatever they're calleds (games?) at the bowling alley wouldn't be enough to make my muscles wince. Since I am obviously not sporty, though, the reminder that I did anything vaguely more active than go for a walk makes me feel like some sort of super athlete.

2 comments:

Global Librarian said...

They're called "matches."

And don't sell yourself short. There are muscles you use for bowling that you don't use for pretty much anything else. Especially on the side of the leg you dip to release the ball.

Grew up in a small town in a rural area. The nearest city was an hour's drive away with no public transportation to get there. Bowling was one of the few options remaining to us. Actually used to be good at it, although I haven't played it for years! Mostly 'cause I moved to the Big City and no longer had to depend upon bowling or miniature golf for entertainment any longer.

Nick Jensen said...

Sporting pains rock! Love the feeling of sore muscles the next day. Makes me feel like I did something good for myself. Of course sore muscles can be prevented to some degree, by stretching properly after the activity.