Saturday 9 August 2008

Zimbabwean Dollars, Perhaps?

A while ago, Reto forced me to bet him a million zillion dollars that Australia would win more cycling medals than Switzerland at the olympics. I embraced some olympic-appropriate patriotism and the certainty that Australia's olympics are the summer ones and Switzerland's are the winter, I ignored my complete lack of knowledge of our talent at riding bikes (indeed the first time I heard of that Cadel Evans person was last week (after we had made the bet!) when my french teacher explained who he was. His name caused a lot of difficulty. I thought perhaps "cadel" was a french word that I didn't know yet) and I took the bet.

This afternoon Reto had a gloating frenzy because apparently some Swiss dude got a bronze medal in a bicycle event. Make the most of it while it lasts, Mr Smug*.




* I'm still not sure if we're any good at riding bikes, but I'm certainly willing to try to dampen R's sense of victory. Aussie Aussie Aussie, etc etc etc!

2 comments:

swissmiss said...

Oh he suckered you. Fabian Cancellara is the world time trial champion - the bronze in the street race was totally unexpected, he's expected for a gold on Wednesday. And does mountain biking count? I believe the Swiss men just won gold silver and bronze in the worlds. Sorry. But then do the indoor track events count, too? Australia is quite good in those, if I recall. Could be close.

rswb said...

Fortunately we had another bet the other day, which ended up with me winning a million zillion dollars from R, but since neither of us can actually remember what it was about, Reto thinks we should pretend it never happened. Which I obviously don't agree with.

Sounds like indoor events are definitely going to be included. Thanks for the tip!