Friday 21 September 2007

Hello Autumn

Finally it's autumn. It even feels like autumn. I saw a squirrel frolicking in a tree the other day, trying to hide what seemed to be an discarded sandwich crust. Reto was attacked by some walnuts that were blown out of their tree by a gust of wind (he then brought them home and gave to me and I ate them. Aah, sweet revenge). I saw a father/daughter team grubbing around in some shrubbery. Reto suggested they might have been collecting chestnuts. This is all very topsy-turvy-Enid-Blyton-style alterno-world, but I'm sure they are all good solid signs of autumn. In this backward hemisphere, anyway. Plus leaves are turning funny colours and/or falling off trees, and it was all cold and foggy this morning, and I have recently been considering turning the heating on in our flat because it's starting to get quite cold at night. Although possibly that is because I always insist on having all the windows open. Anyway, hello autumn.

My official aims for the season are to 1) eat a whole lot of fondue on the balcony (I am going to wait until it is properly cold before I do this. For some reason being freezing seems to help the cheese-digesting process), and 2) come up with the perfect gluhwein recipe. Happily, both of these aims seem extremely achievable.

No comments: