Tuesday 19 February 2008

Wedding Anecdote Number One

You know it’s a good wedding when it’s gatecrashed by another one. Actually, if that’s true, I suppose it means that the Other Wedding was probably better than ours.

Our wedding was in the upstairs section of a restaurant. There was Another (much bigger) Wedding in the downstairs bit. When guests of ours arrived in the general vicinity there was some understandable confusion about which wedding was which, and I spotted several people I knew milling about with the Wrong Crowd. Designated people were sent to gather up all our stray guests, but not before at least a few people had been offered (and accepted) a pre-ceremony drink by the Other Lot, and had even been asked to offer some lovely advice and comments to the [Other] happy couple via camcorder. Which will no doubt make for entertaining/confusing viewing for them one day, wondering who these total strangers accepting their boozy hospitality are.

Later on, fortunately after our ceremony was over and we were only standing around chatting and doing a few photos, the Other Wedding party turned up, barged past all of us and started taking photos in the small, confined area where our ceremony had just been. Personally I thought the whole thing was hilarious until I later heard from a friend that when some of the bridesmaids had shown up, they had seen us there, hesitated and said “It’s another wedding!” and their photographer had yelled at them “Just keep going!”, apparently relentlessly determined to invade photogenic territory. How rude.

The Other Wedding

6 comments:

Ms Mac said...

Oh! Your wedding looked much more classy!

Anonymous said...

I agree -- they were an uncouth lot and their outfits looked like corporate uniforms.

rswb said...

We were certainly looking a lot more classy at the end of the evening too, when we weren't arguing out on the beach and throwing wine on each other (I don't think it was the bride or groom, but still).

Unknown said...

I have been referring to them as the Bogan Wedding

Tina+Bastian said...

To see the "other" bride trying to get over the rocks down to the spot where this photo was taken (in EXTREMELY high heels) was for me one of the most memorable moments of your wedding. It will stay with me forever. I'm sorry. I know it's very embarassing.

Tina

rswb said...

At least I had the good sense to take my shoes off. And not be a bogan.