Wednesday 27 February 2008

Yum!

Lordy. We went to Tetsuya's last night, a wedding present from my sister and her boyfriend, and we ate and ate and ate. And then we ate a lot more too, as is required when you're eating 13 courses over the space of four and a half hours, or however many it was. My recent semi-hospitalisation/illness may have left me with less of an appetite than is ideal for such an even, but bravely I struggled through ...

... and it was totally super. My favourite course was the Tetsuya's signature dish, a confit of trout with fantastically yummy stuff (daikon and konbu, apparently, and some really great salt) on top. Mmmmm...


The rest of the menu was very seafoody, ocean trout and caviar and scallops and crab and more crab and some really amazing barramundi, and then we moved on to the meaty courses (quail and then veal) and the sole vegetarian course (lentils. Unless you count the sweet corn soup at the beginning, but of course it wasn't really a course) and then about a zillion types of dessert. There was a lovely summer berry pudding and a chocolate thing of some sort which was sooooo very chocolatey and some excellent petit fours. I also had a really scary espresso in the most excellent little cup, which happily failed to keep me awake for hours after the meal was over.

Oh, and apart from the food, there was also the controversy of the art on the walls in the toilets. There was nothing particularly noteworthy in the women's, but apparently the walls of the men's toilet were adorned with lots of semi-nudity (of the female kind) and possibly a metaphorical picture of a clitoris. Sadly I can't be more specific here, because the conversation was kind of vague, and I don't think it was the kind of establishment where one pops into the men's toilet to clarify things. Although my sister did try, but somehow she failed to see the picture in question.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I didn't go into the men's! I deny everything!