Sunday 13 January 2008

Life's A Beach

I went swimming at the beach this morning (for the second time since we have been back in Aus, which is more times than I have been to the beach in the last five years or so) and apart from the weather being ridiculously hot and the water ridiculously cold, it was really super. It was quite striking last week when I was at the beach how much I enjoyed it, actually. Usually all the heat and sand and sunscreen and crowds and threat of skin cancer and having to get changed in horrible beachy toilets and stuff drives me bonkers. I think my new non-hating of the beach comes mainly from my enthusiastic embrace of using a parasol every time the sun even threatens to shine (and my lack of concern at being laughed at by sunburnt morons. Let's see how much they're laughing in 20 years when they look like old leather handbags and they spend their holidays at the doctor's office having their melanomas removed. Not that I'm bitter or anything. Actually, the sad truth is that me with my hopeless skin that burns in an instant is far more likely to turn cancerous even though I've spent my entire life putting on sunscreen and hiding under trees. I suspect it might be my dermatological destiny to be a european).

Now I just need to find a way to be able to surgically attach my sunglasses to my face (so I can wear them in the ocean and they don't fall off at the first sign of waves) and I will be all set.

6 comments:

Global Librarian said...

Let them laugh!

Due to my extremely pale skin, I've used 60 spf sunscreen AND a parasol for years now. I get laughed at a lot. (Although some construction workers once applauded me.)

But the laughter is alright because even though I am 37 years old, I have no wrinkles and most people mistake me for my late 20's. My mother has the same skin. She is in her 70's, but most people guess late 50's.

Let them laugh!

Kim/moolric said...

You don't need sunglasses. You can get contacts that filter UV light.

Or in fact you can get tinted swimming goggles if you don't mind people looking at you funny, which clearly you don't.

rswb said...

I don't wear contacts, though, and getting them especially for the two or so times per decade that I swim at the beach seems a bit over the top.

Yesterday when we were at the beach we were talking about the possibility of using tinted goggles as sunnies-substitutes, and what a troupe of nerds we would look like if I had my brolly, Reto was wearing swimming goggles and Steph was swimming with a singlet top on over her cossie (apparently her swimmers have seen better days, by which I think she meant days when they were less likely to fall off after being buffeted by waves).

Unknown said...

I also had my tinted swimming goggles with me, which I would have worn if I had remembered they were in my bag.

Unknown said...

I also had my tinted swimming goggles with me, which I would have worn if I had remembered they were in my bag.

rswb said...

Nerd