Wednesday 27 June 2007

Apparently We're All Going On A Summer Holiday

I've just been having a wander through blog-land (as I tend to these days because I'm foreign and unemployed. Hee hee, I'm foreign, although not at the moment, obviously. Here I am very local, and in fact someone who I didn't know but was speaking to the other day seemed to get the idea that I actually was Swiss and she commented on how I seem to have picked up a bit of an Australian accent since being here), and it seems that absolutely everyone is on holidays. What's that all about? Is it because it's summer (because the bulk of the blogs I read are by people in Europe, or specifically Switzerland)? Don't people only go on holidays in summer if they are or have school-aged kiddies (because that's when there are some decent-lengthed school holidays)? Doesn't everyone else go in the much more pleasant shouldery type times at the edges of summer (or even, gasp, in other seasons)?

Give me a holiday with less sun and less kiddies every time.

5 comments:

Nick Jensen said...

In Denmark, you usually have 5 weeks of (paid) vacation in a year. If you're in a worker's union, you usually get another week. And thats aside all the national and religious holidays.
If you have (school aged) kids, you're usually bound to take your vacation when the kids have their vacation from school, so I believe you're pretty much bound by that. If you don't, and have a flexible job, you can take your vacation whenever you want to. It's usually said though, that it's preferred if employees take their vacation when the company has the least work load.
So, me and Liv will be taking 2 weeks in July, where we'll probably go to Copenhagen for a few days, and 2 weeks more in August/September, where travelling outside Denmark is usually a bit cheaper.

- technically though, I could take all my 6 weeks (and saved up overtime) in one stretch - if say I wanted to go to Australia again ;)

Global Librarian said...

I go on holiday year round!

There are some places where it is better to go during specific seasons. Our big holiday (or "vacation," as we Americans insist on saying) this summer is to Scandinavia and the Baltic Sea. We are going for two weeks in mid-August. Wouldn't really want to go there during the winter!

rswb said...

But if you go to Scandy in late autumn or winter (and to the right parts of Scandy), you'll see the northern lights!

Nick Jensen said...

You'll have to go a bit up north in Scandinavia for the northern lights. I'd say the chances are good from after the bottom third of Sweden and Norway, and further up north.

Speaking of the Baltic Sea. If you go to Lithuania (which is cheap and lovely during summer), I can redommend Nida which is very nice. With some good stretches of beach, and the famous Nida sunset, it is indeed lovely. It is customary to go to the beach with a bottle of champagne, and enjoy the sun killing itself in the baltic sea.

Did you know that about 20km's outside Vilnius is a nuclear power plant similar to the one in Chernobyl that blew up? And that it's still active? I find that a bit spooky. I don't like nuclear power plants...

Global Librarian said...

I've seen the Northern Lights. A few times now. They are pretty and all, but there is more to Scandinavian that a light show.

Although my favorite Northern Lights view was from an airplane while flying to Seattle, Washington. They are truly amazing from a plane.