Thursday 28 June 2007

Home, Grr

As it turns out, Sydney is really quite annoying. In spite of basically the whole of Australia being in the midst of the worst drought in a thousand years (or something like that), there has been barely a day since I arrived (more than 3 weeks ago now) when it hasn't rained. It's been consistently freezing here too. What little laundry I have done here takes about a year to dry. I don't know anything much about any of the shows on telly here, or if I do they are all series that are in strange other places compared to where they are in Switzerland, so I don't know what's going on (in fact, I'm not really even sure how the TV works. My sister got a new DVD player and the new remote has so many buttons on it that I lost interest before I was sure of how to change the channel). My friends are scattered hither and yon (or somewhere) across the city and beyond, which means I end up spending forever on (extremely unreliable and non-Swissy) public transport (not that I am complaining about my friends. Especially not since they are the bulk of the people reading this, I imagine. You lot are great. No, really). The cheese section in my local supermarket is abysmal (although admittedly there is a grocers nearby that has a super cheese selection).

Obviously there are many nice aspects of being back here (seeing people, speaking english, embracing actual paid employment for a change, rediscovering my cupboard full of shoes and junk that I had forgotten all about), but really, there are more bad points than I had expected. Although I do also suspect that being relentlessly cold is giving me a bad attitude. At least there is the (slightly 1950s-ish, but more environmentally friendly than an electric blanket) succour of my nice hot water bottle in bed every night. Not quite a toasty-warm-boyfriend substitute, but sadly, I'll take what I can get. Sigh.

No comments: