Tuesday 26 June 2007

Like Living In A Barn

There seems to be some sort of horrible design flaw in this house that makes it colder inside than it is outside. I wake up and skulk under the covers for hours, dreading having to face the icy morning air. I rush to the shower and stay in there for far too long (stoopid water restrictions. Meanwhile, it has been raining relentlessly ever since I got back here, none of it in the catchment area, of course, or not much at any rate, and water is leaking into the house making rain pour from the ceiling of my sister's bedroom. I'm sure she will wake up one day to find that she has been crushed to death by her ceiling collapsing under its own soggy weight and falling on her head). I noticed this morning as I was having breakfast that I could actually see my breath (and I wasn't having my breakfast outdoors. I was having it in the kitchen). My toes are so numb I can hardly walk. I don't like it here. Then again, I don't like the way that windows don't have flyscreens in Switzerland, either, so I guess I can't win.

3 comments:

Tina+Bastian said...

I'm happy to see that you and I complain about the same things!!! I’m not feeling lonely anymore... You must admit that the heated houses in Switzerland are soooooooo much better during winter time.
Have fun back home with your friends and family!

Anonymous said...

wuss

rswb said...

It's cold. I'm in danger of losing my fingers or toes or ears or something.