Thursday 14 June 2007

Corn Shock

In another long and arduous day at the Sydney Film Festival, today I became outraged about corn. I watched a doco called King Corn (so unheard of it doesn't seem to even have a spot on imdb) and I wasn't really planning to enjoy it that much, but I did and now I am revelling in my outrage. Americans eat so much corn that they are practically made of it. They kill cows with it. No doubt they destroy biodiversity and therefore entire ecosystems by growing so much of it. They poison themselves by eating it relentlessly. It's all fertiliser/pesticide laden and genetically modified. It's economically and nutritionally unsustainable.

Now I want to see the same thing but about soy. I'm sure I could get angry about that, too.

4 comments:

Karen said...

I used to live in one of the chief corn states in the U.S. and it was so depressing. Miles and miles of corn, and most of it wasn't even for human consumption- it was feed corn or corn for ethanol. And of course it was biotech. (Actually, I don't think corn for ethanol is such a bad thing.) But back to the corn state- miles of corn with some soy every so often. That's right, soy. Oh, and the cows that ate the corn, of course. The produce in the supermarkets was poor quality and there was little choice. I like corn on the cob every now and then, but the corn hegemony is really too much. And then they put high fructose corn syrup in everything because it's a by-product of doing something with corn, I forget what. Disgusting.

Sorry about the corn rant, but your post really struck a chord with me. I wish I could see that film.

rswb said...

I've been recommending it (the film) to everyone. I was talking about it with a colleague this morning, and he had just seen The Oil Crash and we were both full of rage about our respective topics. It was nice how it all gelled so well into the one conversation, and it didn't matter at all tat he was talking about oil and I was talking about corn.

Anonymous said...

In choosing corn, has the film maker juxtaposed a metaphor for American culture with a symbol -- no, beyond mere symbiology, a causative factor -- in what is surely an obscenity -- a nation of overweight prime-time consumers?

rswb said...

That's just what I was thinking.