Friday 1 June 2007

Grr, Part Zwei

I thought of something else annoying that happened when we were in Berlin:

We got to the first place we were staying at. I walked over to the reception man and started to say "Hi. I made a booking for a room for the next few nights. It's under the name Robyn", but before I could get all those words out the reception man said to me "Just one moment", turned to look at Reto (who was kind of around a corner and not trying to get reception man's attention in any way) and said "Are you Robin?".

Sigh.

"No, I'm Robyn", I said. "It's a girls' name in Australia", I said. I'm fed up with having this conversation.

Actually, I secretly kind of enjoy it. When I was a kid I used to watch A Country Practice and there was a character on there for a while whose name was Stephanie, but she was a bit of a tomboy and was commonly known as Steve (I'm not implying that she was transgender in any way, just that she shortened her girly name into a boy-ish one). My sister's name is also Stephanie, and I remember thinking at the time that it was cool that my sister practically had a boy's name. And now, 17 years later, my sister is generally known as Steph and everyone thinks I'm a man. Sigh.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

As one of our German teachers has already suggested, change your name to Robyna and all confusion will be gone !

Anonymous said...

But you might get confused with a sugary blackcurrant beverage

Unknown said...

Do they export that crap to Switzerland too ?