Saturday 23 June 2007

Festy Roundup - Spoiler Alert

Well. Two weeks, 80 hours (of work) and 29 movies (that I actually watched) later, it's all over. I really like movies. It always takes me a while after the Fest is over to see what I enjoyed the most, and what stays with me the longest, but at the moment I have a short list.

I wanted to see La Vie En Rose and After The Wedding (ah how I love the films of Denmark) when I was in Switzerland, but I didn't because the language barrier got in my way. Sadly (for Reto) they were both on at the Fest and so now I have seen them and he (who kindly didn't go so as not to leave me out of the loop) has not. I really enjoyed both of them, but then again I expected to, so they don't really seem that exciting.

King Corn was super, as I have already said.

I watched a moody, dialogue-light movie from Russia (The Island) about a man who was forced to shoot his captain (or someone) during WW2 and then spent the rest of his life being a monk and feeling repentant and kind of insane, which was a bit arduous at the time but in retrospect it was great. It was full of grim symbolism,or something, and I really felt that every scene added some atmosphere and emotion to the movie. Which is odd, because it's not at all the sort of thing I normally think.

The other thing that stands out at the moment is the latest from my favourite Czech director (because doesn't everyone have a favourite Czech director? This dude, Jan Hrebejk, also made Cosy Dens and Divided We Fall, the latter having been nominated for an Oscar a few years ago). It was a movie called Beauty In Trouble, and sadly the blurb in the festival brochure totally ruined the plot (a woman leaves her deadbeaty husband and finds a man who is rich and kind and can offer her everything she has ever wanted, but she just can't stop having sex with her ex, never mind the fact that she didn't have sex with her ex until the last 15 or so minutes of the movie). It was a nice movie, the characters were likeable and believable, it wasn't smarty-pantsy or confusing, and it was fun. As opposed to The Island, which was not fun at all.

It will be interesting to see how I feel about it all in another week or so.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

So, now that the festival is over, to we get to finally see you ?

Vlad

rswb said...

You sure do! Actually, Vlad, I had a dream that I had left Sydney without seeing you and I felt really guilty about it (in my dream), so we will have to make a point of meeting up if only for the sake of my conscience. Then again, I had a dream the other night that I was being attacked by a herd of feedlot cows, and that seems unlikely to come true, so maybe I don't have prophetic dream powers. Let's hope so, anyway. I hit one of them in the face with a clipboard folder in an attempt to save myself, and that doesn't seem like something I would do.