Monday 3 March 2008

Chatting

This morning I had an unreasonably long conversation with a loopy dude in the bank.

I went in and took a number and since there was no more seat space I stood up. Some old chap moved along the seat and said "here, you can sit down, there's plenty of room" and, not wanting to hustle the oldies along, I said "oh no, no, it's not necessary.." etc and he insisted and I demurred and eventually he barked at me "oh, just sit down!". Urmmm ... okay, so I sat down, and he proceeded to engage me in conversation. We talked about the exact opening hours of all the local banks (and compared them favourably to the opening hours of other banks, which apparently close at 2pm which is completely insane and quite possibly untrue. I haven't actually been in a bank branch for years, so I couldn't really comment), we chatted about what "NSW" stands for, we talked about the recent refusal by the PM to accept a pay raise and it was all went on and on and on. Happily he eventually left, and when he did every other person in the room smiled at me in a kindly way as if to say "thanks for being the one who saved me from that".

It was the happiest anyone is ever likely to be in a bank.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh I see. Like that is it? I thought you enjoyed our little chat. 'Some old chap' am I? 'Bark' did I? Glad to see the back of me were you? Harumph. That's the last time I offer my seat to you, girlie.

rswb said...

I must say, Mr Scrotum, that I did enjoy your remarkably well-informed (for a looney) and left-leaning perspective. It's nice to be able to genuinely agree with a nutburger now and then, rather than just having to be polite and humour them to avoid potential craziness.

Anonymous said...

A well-informed nutburger? That's ... that's the nicest insult anyone's ever thrown at me.

Look, I may have been a little manic when we met -- I've been sluggish and depressed just lately. I may have used a little poetic licence about the bank's opening hours and so on, and I can be a bit of a bore, but you should have seen me in my day. The women flocked to me, swooned at my repartee ... I'm too old these days -- a toothless tiger as it were -- but old habits die hard. You'll be old too one day. You'll see.

rswb said...

I can only hope that when I'm as old and nutty as you, I meet lots of people as young and charming as me. Oh, and also that my personal hygiene standards are higher than yours.