Tuesday 25 March 2008

Tables And Guns (And Roses)

Today was an outrgeously successful and busy day (by our standards). Not only did we have a remarkably efficient trip to Ikea (a rug, table and chairs, and a coffee table that we wanted and then couldn’t get and then resigned ourselves to not having and then totally unexpectedly found heavily discounted! Hurrah!), we also moved out of the HOT and in with Reto’s dad. Which is great, because it’s a bit of a change in scenery, it’s a house far less hardcore on the cleaning front, and it also sort of symbolises the passing of time, which means that every day we are getting closer to finally moving into our new flat! Hurrah! Plus it’s also great because R’s brother was also there to help us carry boring heavy things, thus saving me from having to exert myself too much. Hurrah again!

Arguably the best bit of the day, though, was the trip home from table-buying. The music playing in the car seemed to be some sort of mix of mid 90s rock type ballads (songs along the lines of November Rain by Guns and Roses, and The Wind of Change by the Scorpions, which I believe I owned on cassingle at the time) and when I commented on it I discovered that in fact it was some sort of mix tape that R had made himself way back when (when the songs were popular and cassettes still existed). It was super! It was like high school all over again (but without all the appalling bits that I have no desire to revisit)! It’s sad that all that long-haired, bike-shorts-wearing earnest rock hasn’t come back into fashion in a retro kinda way. Then again, maybe if it had have I would be fed up with it and I wouldn’t have enjoyed the it anywhere near as much as I did.

No comments: