Monday 10 March 2008

Flat Update

We are in the throes of searching for a new flat, and happily we now have a short list. Our options are:

1. Possibly over-priced but charming. On the 4th floor (I think) with rickety stairs and no lift (a nightmare for moving our furniture in). Tiny bedroom but excellent living room and, fairly revolutionarily, it comes with a washing machine! No communal laundry nightmares! No allocated half day a week and cranky neighbours! No storage space (like a basement or a cave or whatever). Mostly super location. No balcony, but an excellent bath (those are the two things I really want in a flat, a balcony and a bath). We could move in instantly, which would be great.

2. Heaps cheaper and deceptively large. Another tiny bedroom, and another excellent living room, and also a spare room. Crappy old-fangled kitchen and bathroom (with bath!), but cosy and adorable. On the 3rd floor (I think) with not-so-rickety stairs and no lift (a nightmare for moving our furniture in). A shared washing machine but one shared by only 5 or so flats, with space for hanging laundry out (I hate driers) and no timetable (a good thing). Super location. An attic basement. Oh, and there is no way to buzz people in through the front door! You have to actually go downstairs and open it! No balcony.

3. I don't know, actually. Reto saw this one on his own this evening and said it was super, but I really don't know. Apparently it also has its own washing machine. I believe it has a balcony, but a tiny tiny crappy one, and no bath.
UPDATE: Apparently this flat has semi-tiny rooms (although not as tiny as the rooms in the other places), a spare room, a newfangled-ish kitchen (which is also where the washing machine is, whic I think is weird and Reto doesn't), a lift (it's only on the 1st floor so you don't really need one. Oh, and apparently the lift actually opens into the apartment! Weird! Mock swanky!) and a super location. As well as no bath. The fact that I haven't seen it makes me not care so much for it, though, and Reto says he puts it at the bottom of his list too.

So there are the options. We're applying for them all and seeing what happens. I'm secretly going for Number 2.

5 comments:

mischa said...

yes, i think number 2 ticks more boxes than number 1, but then we don't know much about number 3.

on another note, i have always been confused by the adverb 'deceptively'. is a deceptively large room bigger than it looks or smaller? i imagine the former, but logically/ linguistically it could be the latter. very deceptive.

Nick Jensen said...

I feel like gambling - so I'm putting my money on the dark horse of the selection... or is it dark flat?

- should you decide to move to Denmark though, I have a lovely flat for sale ;)

rswb said...

Yes, I was sort of confused about the "deceptively large" thing too. As it turns out I meant that the flat is big, bigger than you would imagine...

.. and also happily not in Denmark. Not that I have anything against Denmark (I'm a big fan of all the Scandy nations), but I'm afraid we'll have to turn down your kindly offer to sell us your flat, Nick. It just wouldn't be very convenient. I imagine.

Anonymous said...

I think #2 sounds like it has the best overall living environment.

Your own washing machine! I'd kill for that!

Okay, I wouldn't kill for it, but I might maim for it.

Well...I'd give a dirty look for it! That's something, right?

Unknown said...

I was going to add my own comment about 'deceptively large' being a confusing phrase, until I read Mischa's comment. And now I have anyway.