Tuesday 4 March 2008

Things I Am Fed Up With

1. Packing. It's boring, and having to constantly panic about the weight limit is incredibly annoying.

2. Wondering on which side of the world my life is. I suppose it would be foolish to think at the moment that it is this side of the world, since I am leaving tomorrow and not coming back in the foreseeable future (how depressing), but do I really need to try to wedge all my pretty dresses/skirts/tops/jewellery that is still over here into the suitcase? Will I ever wear any of it? But then again, what's the point in leaving it all behind (apart from the fact that they won't really fit into my allocated 20kg), thus ensuring that it will all remain unworn?

3. The attitude of assorted foreign (Swiss) people towards Australian food. No, it's not the same, and yes, some things are nicer in your country, but please appreciate the fact that I don't agree with you about almost everything that you have to say, and I could do without hearing you denigrate everything constantly. Perhaps it says more about your fussiness than it does about the inedibility of everything that this entire continent has to offer.

4. No, that's about it for the moment. Now I'm off to the pub for some trivia and a beer.

7 comments:

MissS said...

Gaawwwww!! You can't be serious! How can you complain about Australian food? For starters the red meat is cheap enough to buy more than once a month and there's a distinct lack of Bratwurst and Röshti. Sounds like a winner to me. I miss the food from home ...

Tina+Bastian said...

No surprise. Everyone is missing the food from home... That is exactly the reason why people are complaining all the time!
(ok - make that "almost everyone". There are some people out there who do not worry at all about food)

However I have to say that after one year Australia I got used to some things here that do not exist in Switzerland. So from now on I can complain wherever I am. Great!!!

rswb said...

I have no problem with people who live in countries not their own being a bit miffed about the food choices (don't we all wish the water was less disgusting and there was a greater availability of ground cumin, fresh corn and pumpkin soup? Not to mention far fewer dull meaty things and creamy sauces of all varieties) but in my opinion, if you're on a holiday you really would be doing yourself a favour if you made more of an effort to embrace it. It's only a few weeks, people, and maybe your holiday would be more enjoyable if you didn't spend it complaining and dreaming of home.

Nick Jensen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nick Jensen said...

Mhhhh - pumpkin soup....

- agreed. Holiday People(tm) who instantly head for the nearest MacD og similar, should have their heads examined (and possible removed)...

Same goes if they complain about public transportation, that they don't understand the language, and that the water tastes funny.

rswb said...

mmm ... pumpkin soup ....

I don't mind when people complain about water. Although maybe that's only because I do it all the time myself. Water is really the only thing I drink apart from tea and coffee, and when it's horrible it's really a bad thing for me. I spend all my time either thirsty or grimacing.

Stoopid Swiss water. Grr. It's horrible.

Tina+Bastian said...

I really liked the water in Switzerland - but obviously it's the water I drank all my life. Brisbane water, however, is just terrible...
We bought a Britta jug with a filter system and that makes it perfectly drinkable. Perhaps the same thing would work for you?