Friday 27 July 2007

Like Clockwork

I met Reto for lunch today. The plan was to rendezvous outside the library at 1pm ish, and since Aarau is so tiny I knew I would only take a few minutes to get there. I didn't want to have to lurk around and wait for too long, so I checked my watch before I left. It said it was 12.51pm. I checked our alarm clock. It said 12.58pm. The non-alarm clock said 12.54. The CD player said 12.56. The TV said 12.48. My computer said 12.49. My phone said 12.54. When I checked later with Reto's watch it said the same time as mine, so if we were both being punctual it would have been fine, but still.

And so, in a remarkable display of Swissiness, I have synched everything up to match the TV time (since that is the only one I can't change). The alternative really was driving me cuckoo.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wouldn't you have been better off making sure you were synched with the actual time? That sounds like Phil's thinking when the clock in my car didn't match his watch, and he claimed his watch was more reliable because he had matched it to other sources, but then it turned out that those other sources were clocks in his flat. Whereas mine was synched with the time according to the radio (admittedly triple j, but they usually do the news on time).

rswb said...

Well, as I discovered after they were all lined up with Telly Time, that seems to actually be the same time as gmt.com time, and also as Train Time, so that's all very convenient.
Except that Reto seems to be refusing to change his mobile to make it match everything else. He's like a traitor to his country.