Thursday 19 July 2007

Zzz

Well, I'm back and I only have time for a few sentences before I completely abandon my best intentions of not being all jetlagged, by which I mean of staying awake all day and going to sleep at a sensible time.

Why don't they give you enough food on aeroplanes any more? I'm sure that in the olden days I used to feel as though I was having food forced on me all the time. These days I am starving. Two crappy meals on a 12 hour flight is not enough, especially not when those meals are separated by about 9 hours.

Why don't they give you enough water on aeroplanes any more? Especially in this brave new world of DVT (if you don't drink enough you'll get blood clots and die) and terrorism (if you bring your own water bottle you'll probably use it to blow the plane up)?

How super is it not to have everything confiscated from you when you land somewhere? In Sydney they scowled at me because I took the tiny unopened packet of Lurpak which I salvaged from my aeroplane dinner. Here I wandered through with fresh mangosteens (courtesy of Bangkok airport) and chai tea and nobody batted an eye.

And now it's time for a nap.

2 comments:

Nick Jensen said...

In 2000 when I went to Australia, I flew with KLM and I think they force fed me every 3 hours or so during the 20-something hour flight. Thirsty? Just ring the flight attendant, and ask for a FREE soft drink or water or whatever. FREE!

- and they're pretty anal in Sydney airport. I had my shoes washed, to remove any trace of filthy, germy euro-trash soil. And they stared for 10 minutes at my vitamins...

rswb said...

I have a pathological phobia about ringing the bell for the flight attendant person. I don't know why. I used to really hate pressing the 'stop' button on buses, too, which I think is unrelated but similar. Plus on one of the flights I was on, the dude in the seat next to me rang the bell repeatedly because he wanted a drink, and no one ever responded (he also pressed the button on my seat, and on the seat on the other side of him).