Saturday 21 July 2007

Turning Into A Lizard

Apparently I have absolutely no powers of homeostasis.

Just a few days ago I was sittting on the couch having breakfast in the living room of where I live in Sydney when I realised that my toes had turned a numb-ish and deathly sort of grey from the cold (which is a shade never seen before. Interestingly, when I was young my extremities used to turn sort of purple and orange, then later it was more like blue, and now apparently my toes turn grey and my fingers turn white).

Fast forward a few days and I am back in Switzy where it has been something around 30-ish degrees for the last few days (ie. hot but not ridiculously so) and Reto complains every time I lay a finger on him because I am so ludicrously warm all the time. I had to put my feet under the cold tap the other night before I went to bed because otherwise I end up lying in bed feeling like they are about to spontaneously combust or something (which is not conducive to falling asleep, not even for someone just back from 30 hours of air-travel-based sleep deprivation). This whole cold-tap-foot thing is not new, but normally it is something I only had to do when I was visiting my parents in their former home in one of the more tropical parts of NSW, where Christmas day was known to be in the 40s.

Anyway, it seems I am turning into some sort of cold-blooded reptile type. Expect to see me lying on the roads in the winter months, trying to suck all the warmth I can find out of the bitumen.

No comments: