Monday 23 July 2007

Being Poisoned And Robbed

This morning I went on a bit of a wander around town and two things of note happened.

The first thing is that I spotted zillions of blackberry bushes. This was not surprising as I had seen them all in the cooler months, but back then I didn't pay much attention because they were not then, as they are now, bursting with fruit. I love blackberries, and I enjoy them far more when I have picked them rather than bought them. I have all sorts of fond childhood memories of going blackberry-picking, getting stabbed half to death by all the prickles, my hands and lips turning purple from scoffing so many of them, and then of eating blackberry pies for months afterwards. Is it socially acceptable to pick blackberries within town-limits, though? Presumably they aren't sprayed with poison in this country as they tend to be in Aus, but I feel as though something else is holding me back from scoffing them all, something other than the threat of death (or at least a bit of low-grade poisoning). Hmm.

The other funny thing that happened was that I saw a bloke walking along the street trying to open car doors. He tried the handles of two parked cars, but both were apparently locked and so he kept walking. Was he some sort of extremely unsubtle and relatively unmotivated criminal (because I imagine if he was more motivated he would have made some attempt at breaking in)? What other explanation could there be?

2 comments:

mischa said...

i think the same rule should apply as applies to flower-picking. if it's on public land or hanging over someone's fence onto the footpath then it's a free-for-all. actually, now that i think about it, i wouldn't want to see my local park denuded of flowers, but blackberries are for eating and are otherwise just going to fall on the ground and make a mess.

as for the robber, i once heard someone fiddling with my bike out the front of my house. when i went out, he faux-innocently inquired whether i was interested in selling it. yeah right, nice cover up mate.

Anonymous said...

It's an agreed fact that the bought blackberries aren't as nice as the wild ones. Well, it was agreed by me and mum after she bought some farmed ones.